Posted: March 18, 2022
Position Status: Open
Location: Remote in the lower 48 United States
Compensation: $90k USD, 100% 401k Match, Excellent Insurance
We’re looking for a junior software engineer for our Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team. Maybe that’s you!
At Let's Encrypt, we’re making HTTPS easier for developers to use and we’re doing it at scale. We’re a first-of-our-kind Certificate Authority (CA). We make certificates available to anyone, for free, and we offer an API to do it. This means more people can enable HTTPS on their websites, with less work. That protects everyone’s web traffic from snoops, and makes us all safer.
Here's what our SRE team does:
- We develop software that improves automation and security in our infrastructure.
- We maintain and evolve both the logical and the physical operational infrastructure.
- We contribute to open source projects we depend on.
- We help design policies and procedures for both the certificate authority and the organization.
- We participate in an on call rotation. We value protecting our teammates from burnout and accommodate people's schedules as needed.
- We are committed to improving ourselves and the services we provide. We teach each other and learn from our mistakes, often through blameless post-mortems.
- We help run a community forum that helps developers and end users fix their problems, and moderate comments to ensure everything stays on-track. We are happy to say ours is the friendliest and most supportive HTTPS-related forum around.
- We help research potential new projects that ISRG may operate.
Here's what we'd like you to bring to the team:
- At least one of the following:
- A degree in Computer Science (or similar)
- One year of professional experience programming in a compiled language
- Significant contributions to an open source software project
- Attention to detail and a willingness to take time to think things through and do them the right way.
- An appreciation for developing tests.
- Excellent communication, organization, and prioritization skills.
Here are some things we'll help you learn on the job if you don't know them already:
- Our primary programming languages: Go, Rust, and Python.
- Systems and network administration. For example, learning to manage firewalls and routers, work with automation tools like SaltStack, and manage virtual machines on both physical and cloud infrastructure.
- Domain-specific knowledge: PKI and cryptography.
Location and Benefits
Our team has always been entirely remote and our processes and infrastructure are built around that. We will help you get your home office in good shape, including reimbursing internet and phone expenses. Other benefits include excellent health insurance, a 100% match for 401k contributions, and flexible time off and parental leave policies.
To apply, please submit your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ISRG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic. We celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive workplace for everyone.